There was panic in the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital in Cross River State over a suspected Ebola Virus Disease case on Friday.
The scare was intensified when a member of the National Conference from Cross River, Mr. Orok Duke, took to his Facebook page to spread the information.
Duke said an EVD patient arrived from Port Harcourt and had been quarantined, alongside others who had contact with him.
But the Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Dr. Thomas Agan, expressed shock at the information.
He said the claims by Duke was unfounded.
A text message addressed to Duke read, “I am shocked that someone of your status will post an unfounded story on Facebook to misinform not only Nigerians but the world at large! You know the implications are far reaching!
“Please be informed that there is no case of Ebola both in UCTH and General Hospital, Calabar. I will advise you to retract what you have posted immediately, sir!”
The state Commissioner for Health, Angela Oyo-Ita, also said it was not true.
She said, “It is absolutely false, whoever is bringing that up does not mean well for the state. A sick patient came in, yes, and people ran away. I received a call and acted on it; so they got back to me and said the person tested HIV-positive. The person came from Port Harcourt, yes.
“It is not true that people have been quarantined in the hospital. The patient has been tested HIV- not Ebola-positive.”
Posted From iProdigy Group Nigeria(Dabibi Ori-ibim’s Blog).
BBM Pin: 7EEC05EB
BBM PIN2: 263CB444
Send Your Stories,Reports And Breaking News To email@example.com