Four more patients undergoing treatment for the
deadly Ebola Virus Disease have been discharged
from the Ebola Emergency Treatment Centre in
The Minister of Health, Onyebuchi Chukwu, in a
statement on Monday, said the discharged
patients have now being confirmed to be Ebola
The identities of the survivors were however not
Mr. Chukwu said three of the patients – two male
doctors and a female nurse – participated in the
treatment of the index case, Patrick Sawyer, while
the fourth patient was a female patient at the
First Consultant Hospital at the time Mr. Sawyer
was on admission.
Mr. Sawyer, a Liberian-American, escaped
surveillance in Monrovia, and came into Nigeria
on July 20 with the deadly Ebola virus.
He later died at First Consultant on July 24.
Following the importation of the disease, 11
people have tested positive to the disease out of
which four people have died, including the index
This development brings the number of
discharged persons to five.
One of the patients, who tested positive to the
virus was discharged on Saturday, after she was
declared Ebola free.
Mr. Chukwu had earlier indicated that more than
half of the patients being treated were
responding to treatment.
The minister said all the persons under
surveillance were secondary contacts.
Mr. Chukwu added, “All the patients under
treatment have now moved to the new 40-bed
capacity isolated ward provided by the Lagos
“Additional equipment has also been made
available to the new isolating ward by the Federal
Government’’, he said.
The minister also said that the Nanosilver drug
which was made available to the Emergency
Operations Centre in Lagos on Aug. 14, did not
meet basic research requirements.
“The experimental drug, Nanosilver, did not meet
the requirements of the National Health Research
“Accordingly, approval was withheld by the
National Health Research Ethics Committee.
“Other candidate drugs are being evaluated by the
Treatment Research Group of Ebola Disease.
“As soon as any of the experimental drugs is
cleared by the National Health Research Ethics
Committee and is made available, we shall
include it in the treatment regimen subject to the
informed consent of the patient.’’
The minister also debunked speculations that
there are Ebola cases in Imo, Abia and Cross
River States, adding that the case of the disease
in Kwara was still under investigation.
“The mother of the child in Kwara tested negative
and we are still investigating the child. Also, the
corpse in Anambra was embalmed and we are
awaiting result of the test.
“All the mortuary attendants who had contact
with the corpse tested negative, so there is no
need to panic’’, he said.
On the suspension of resident doctors’ training by
the Federal Government, Mr. Chukwu said there
had been problems with the training which also
informed the ongoing doctors’ strike.
According to the minister, the suspension is with
all federal government hospitals, adding that
states’ teaching hospitals were not affected.
“The government suspended the training to allow
for critical investigation and come up with better
ways to improve the training.’’
Mr. Chukwu said the paperwork for insurance
package for volunteers was ongoing, adding that
the Lagos State Government had commenced
implementation of insurance package for health
Posted From iProdigy Group Nigeria(Dabibi Ori-ibim’s Blog).
BBM Pin: 7EEC05EB
BBM PIN2: 263CB444
Send Your Stories,Reports And Breaking News To firstname.lastname@example.org