The abduction of 223 Chibok girls is delaying the declaration of President Goodluck Jonathan for second term in office.
The announcement of the President’s re-election bid was tentatively fixed for May ending in Port Harcourt, Rivers State but the mood of the nation forced the President’s strategists to shift the event.
But there were indications that the President may make a declaration on or before August when the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) will hold a National Convention.
Also, Ministers aspiring to some elective offices in 2015 may be asked to quit either in July or August.
Investigation by our correspondent revealed that a Declaration Committee, which is headed by Vice-President Namadi Sambo, had considered the end of May for the event but for the abduction of the Chibok girls.
It was gathered that the quick resolution of the abduction saga will pave the way for Jonathan’s re-election bid.
It was gathered that in the alternative, Jonathan’s strategists and cabinet members had been using different fora, including television promotions, to drum support for the re-election bid.
Some of the advertisements are also being used to feel the pulse of Nigerians.
A source, who spoke in confidence, said: “The abduction of the girls has temporarily altered political calculations in the camp of Jonathan.
“The President was expected to lay to rest in May all speculations on his second term bid. And Port Harcourt was already chosen for the event to send a message that the President has the full backing of the South-South.
“But with the abduction of the girls, the declaration is put on hold. It is inauspicious for the President to announce his second term plan now because some will see him as insensitive.
“So, the declaration is temporarily on hold until the girls are rescued. The President is working round the clock to secure the release of the girls.
“The government is also careful in managing the rescue operation of the girls to avoid any political backlash for the second term move.”
Responding to a question, the source added: “Well, we hope that on or before August when the PDP will hold a National Convention, the President will make his declaration.
“We pray that the girls would have been released before the declaration. Their release will add colour to his bid.
“Nobody expected this challenge but we have to bear it and resolve this for a better Nigeria.” The source, however, said Ministers aspiring for office in 2015 may leave the cabinet on or before August.
A Presidency source added: “I think these politically ambitious ministers will go on or before August after completing a wind down briefing on the achievements of the administration of the President in the last three years.
“The Minister of Information, Mr. Labaran Maku, is expected to organise ministerial briefings between June and July ending. We learnt the budget for the coming score card sessions is being pruned down.”
Going by INEC’s timetable, parties are expected to hold primaries between October 2 and December 11.
Source: The Nation
Posted From iProdigy Group Nigeria(Dabibi Ori-ibim’s Blog).
BBM Pin: 75BA8BA6
Send Your Stories,Reports And Breaking News To firstname.lastname@example.org